Sticky Note - 23.2.18

I no longer blog here but you can now find me at word drift. Hope to see you there!

19 October 2012

REVIEW: If I Stay by Gayle Forman


Name: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile//Speak
Release Date: April 2, 2009 (US)
Pages: 201, Hardcover
Source: Audiobook Library
Rating: 4 Teacups

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

[summary taken from Goodreads]
Jen's Review

I'm so glad to say that reading If I Stay the second time around was much more enjoyable. When I read this book previously 2 years ago, I didn't like it much at all. Music? Blegh. BOOOORING. I was particularly annoyed by books about girls in comas, too. But reading it again, I feel like I understood it so much better and it was beautiful. I was so naïve back then.

GAW-JUS WRITING
Gayle Forman's writing is definitely unique and flawless in her own way. I loved it--it's lyrical and it just WORKS, kay? It all flows together and it makes reading the story really enjoyable.

UNIQUE PLOT
If I Stay doesn't follow the usual plot line. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm talking the beginning- climax- solution thing. If I Stay kind of has two stories going on, if you will. Some present day happenings at the hospital, but mostly memories of Mia's past. While the plot wasn't FAST PACED or anything, it's calm and still great. Again, it just WORKS OUT.

GENUINE CHARACTERS
I really could connect with the characters. While Mia and I have no similarities, I liked her still. Her love for music and the cello was passionate and eye-opening. Let's not forget about Mia's family and friends--I couldn't have asked for a better cast of characters. They were all so wonderful!

In all, If I Stay is a must-read contemporary novel for music fans, or heart-wrenching lovers. You won't want to miss out on Forman's beautiful writing style, exclusive plot, and authentic characters!

Audiobook review: My first impression of the audio was that the performer's voice was too old and mature for Mia's voice. But after awhile, I realized that it was perfect and soothing, and it totally made the book THAT much better. Definitely check out the audio if you can!

4 Teacups for If I Stay!

11 comments:

  1. I loved this novel, Jen, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! Where She Went, the companion novel, is actually MUCH stronger, so I can't wait to see what you think of that. I have to agree though - the lyrical writing somehow worked perfectly for this one. It blew me away and I'm SO excited for Forman's upcoming novel! Wonderful review, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored this book. Like Keertana said, the companion book Where She Went is a much stronger book especially in emotions and I basically will read anything by Forman because she's such a brilliant writer. Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that the writer let's you connect with the characters! Sometimes that is lacking :( Also, so cool to hear how she opens your eyes to what it would be like to have a passion for music. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were better able to connect with the story and the characters the second time around! This book (and the sequel!) broke my heart into teeny tiny little pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody seems to love Gayle her work and I'm definitely excited to try this book. A good writing style and a likable character sound great to me :) Lovely review! I'm not going for the audio book, because that's not my thing, but I'm glad you liked the voice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yay I'm glad this book worked out for you the second time around Jen. I agree this book does take while to get into but Forman's writing and the book eventually pays off in the end. Beautiful review Jen, I hope you're going to pick up the second book soon if you haven't already done so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved If I Stay and Where She Went, so glad that you gave this a second try. I'd love to try the audio of this! I read and then listened to the audio of Where She Went and it's in Adam's voice and it's brilliant!! I totally recommend it. Great review Jen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book and Where She Went - especially Where She Went! both were such great reads for me. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Fantastic review, Jen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been meaning to read this for ages, I feel like I'm missing out on this brilliant writer! Thanks for the great review, Jen :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book! :) It's so wonderful and beautiful. I just really loved how it all went out in the end. You should get Where She Went now! It's a totally different feel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGOMG ME TOOO!!!!! I had to read this book two times before I fully got the gist of it. The first time I got bored within like the first three chapters, but BOY am I glad I picked it up again and gave it a second chance! Lovely review, Jen! So happy to meet a fellow Gayle Forman fan. <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your prettiful thoughts - I LOVE hearing from you and if I could, I'd give you a cupcake for even wanting to comment in the first place! In return, I will try to check out your blog!

*Please note that this blog is award and tag-free, I appreciate the thought but I just don't have time to fulfil the requirements*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Template by In Between Design Studio