Sticky Note

Hello! I'm afraid I have to take another hiatus until mid-February. My exams are coming up and I just haven't had the time to write reviews or posts. I apologise for my absence again and hope to see you all next month.

8 March 2013

Mini-Reviews: Professor Gargoyle and The Slither Sisters by Charles Gilman

Professor Gargoyle (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School, #1)Name: Professor Gargoyle (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1)
Author: Charles Gilman
Publisher: Quirk Books 
Release Date: 25th September 2012
Pages: 169, Hardback
Source: For review (from publisher)

In Professor Gargoyle, we’re introduced to 11-year-old Robert Arthur and the strange world of Lovecraft Middle School. It’s a brand-new state-of-the-art facility—so why do so many creepy things keep happening? Why is the science teacher acting so strangely? And where are all the rats coming from?
As Robert explores with his new friends Glenn and Karina, he discovers that the school may be a portal to another world.
[summary taken from Goodreads]
Beverley's Review

I don't usually read middle grade fiction and both of these were unsolicited review copies so I had no intentions of picking them up any time soon.  However, exams rolled in and I had no time to read the lengthier, 'heavier' books so I decided to give this a go.

Robert Arthur is a pretty likeable but rather flat pre-teen.  I liked reading about his transition to the new middle school and things start to get exciting when strange events occur.  The suspense would keep younger children entertained and the whole 'monster' element is sure to be a hit.  The illustrations scattered throughout also really added to the feel of the book and were superb portrayals of the descriptions.

Overall, this is a great starter to the series which I would recommend to younger children who want a fun, entertaining read which will keep them in suspense.



The Slither Sisters (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #2)
Name: The Slither Sisters (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #2)
Author: Charles Gilman
Publisher: Quirk Books 
Release Date: 15th Janurary 2013
Pages: 160, Hardback
Source: For review (from publisher)


This second novel in the Tales from Lovecraft Middle School series begins right where Professor Gargoyle ended. Seventh-grader Robert Arthur has discovered that two of his classmates are actually sinister snake-women in disguise. Even worse, his new middle school is full of “gates” to a terrifying alternate dimension – a haunted mansion full of strange spirits and monstrous beasts. For Robert to protect his teachers and classmates, he'll need to return to this haunted dimension with his best friends Glenn and Karina. Can they uncover the secrets of Lovecraft Middle School before it's too late?
[summary taken from Goodreads]
The Slither Sisters, I think, was a better read then Professor Gargoyle.  It still contained the same elements of adventure, mystery and hideous monsters but what was really interesting was seeing Robert grow as a character.  In Professor Gargoyle, he was your typical meek pre-teen who was a victim of a bully.  But in The Slither Sisters, he became strong and admirable and a great role model for young teens.

The storyline was quite suspenseful as we watch our main characters tiptoe around carefully, not knowing who to trust.  Glenn and Karina also proved their status as the awesome sidekicks and it was great to watch their friendship develop.

I also liked how the book ended on a cliffhanger - a very clever way to keep readers wanting more!

Overall another great, light read which kept me entertained.

4 comments:

  1. I don't usually read grade school fiction too but from time to time I do find myself reading one. Glad to see that you still enjoyed reading these books. They sound pretty cool and fun. Great mini review, Bev. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, the covers for these two have me running for the hills. It's a little too creepy for MG, but nevertheless sounds like a fun read. I'm glad you enjoyed them, dear!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeek. Am I the only one who thinks that the cover of Professor Gargoyle is creepy? The horn and the crazy grin, aaaah. Please don't come near me, thank you. O.O The cover of The Slither Sisters is very cool though! Loving their hair LOL. xD Anyway, this sounds like a great MG read, Bev! Glad to hear that you enjoyed them. :) Awesome mini reviews, hun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, those covers are really creepy! Especially for MG books! The story sounds good though, I might look out for them when I need nice and easy books to read. Good luck with all your exams, Beverley! Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your prettiful thoughts - I LOVE hearing from you and if I could, I'd give you a cupcake for even wanting to comment in the first place! In return, I will try to check out your blog!

*Please note that this blog is award and tag-free, I appreciate the thought but I just don't have time to fulfil the requirements*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Template by In Between Design Studio