Sticky Note

Hello! I'm afraid I have to take another hiatus until mid-February. My exams are coming up and I just haven't had the time to write reviews or posts. I apologise for my absence again and hope to see you all next month.

20 November 2012

REVIEW: Remembrance by Michelle Madow

Name: Remembrance
Author: Michelle Madow
Publisher: Dreamscape Publishing
Release Date: July 25,2011
Pages: 314, Paperback
Source: Received for review from author
Rating: 3.5 Teacups

Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.
Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind?
Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy.
[summary taken from Goodreads]

Jen's Review

Being a huge Taylor Swift fan, I jumped at the chance to read a story that was inspired by her music video. I mean, how cool is that?! The plot sounded interesting, the cover was beautiful, and I'd just heard too many things about this book! That's a major MUST for me! I'm glad to say that it was definitely enjoyable, but unfortunately, there were those problems that definitely brought this book down a notch.

To start off with the enjoyable things, the book was really addicting, like really addicting. Maybe it was because of it's light, fluffy, easy nature, but I found myself speeding through this book because it was just pure fun to read about! I constantly wanted to know what happened next, even if it was a little predictable. Madow has a flowy way with words; the storyline was just very easy to get through! This was the main reason why I liked this book so much--YAY! However, the good stuff pretty much stopped there.

The concept of time-travel itself was really cool at first, but it kind of just fell off for awhile. Is the main genre of the book supposed to be time travel, or romance? The time travel was forgotten in the middle of the book. I was a little disappointed. Events started to get a little repetitive as the story progressed towards the middle, but it was still fun. Things just could have moved along a bit quicker!

The romance was also a little awkward-- awkward as in cliché. It wasn't TOO bad, but there was the whole "new guy moving into town, trying to stay away from the attractive/painfully mediocre girl, because it's dangerous" thing. I didn't mind it too much--I was still able to enjoy the story-- but it lacked a little bit of originality.

That being said, while Remembrance definitely had it's flaws, I'd say it's still a really entertaining read. I thoroughly adored it and will be continuing with the series! I can't wait to read more about this time-traveling romance. If you're in dire need of a cute, easy, romantic read, Remembrance would be a great pick!

3.5 Teacups for Remembrance!

*Thanks to Michelle Madow for providing me with a copy for review!*



10 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm not a huge Taylor Swift fan but I've heard a lot of amazing things about this book. Sounds really good. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaaa I tend to like cliched romance...as long as it's not overlycliched. (If that makes sense? LOL) Great review Jen! I hope you enjoy the sequels :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on this!! Remembrance was a fun read overall, but i totally thought the romance was just too cliche!! & like you said, many parts were very predictable, but glad you enjoyed it in the end!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I definitely know what you mean about a romance being so cliche it's awkward. Well, I won't be looking forward to that, but I will be looking forward to the time-travel and fun-ness of it all! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The romance does sound incredibly typical. And if it's such a large focus of the book, I can lose a significant amount of interest. Still, I'm glad to hear you had fun with this. I find I can overlook predictability and other flaws when I am enjoying myself regardless. :) Ooh and this was inspired by Taylor Swift. I didn't know that!

    Awesome review, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know it was inspired by Taylor Swift, so now I'm really interested in this book! Bu, that's too bad that time-travel wasn't such a big role as you expected and that the romance was cliché. It sounds like a great light, fluffy read. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to love addicting books, so I think I might have to check this one out! I'm also a really big fan of Taylor Swift, too! <3 But I'm hesitant about the lack of originality. The "new boy is dangerous" thing is pretty old. Nonetheless, awesome review, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, I never knew that you are a big Taylor Swift fan! I've started liking her music more, so maybe we can fangirl in the future once I become a full-fledged fan. ;) Anyways, I'm glad that you at least liked this one! I love a good addicting book, and I'm glad that the pages kept turning for you even though it was slightly predictable. The romance, however, sounds uber cliche and a bit like Twilight, which is a huge turn off for me.

    I'll have to keep my eyes out for a few more reviews of this one before I decide to pick it up! Fabulous review Jen! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like it when a book is good despite it's flaws :) A shame that the time travel started to get a place in the background, because that is what fascinates me in this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I read this a while ago and really enjoyed it. I think it,s more of a romance than a time travel story though. I haven't read he sequel to see what that one concentrates on though maybe that one's more time travel oriented. Anyways, I loved that it was a really refreshing and easy read. I'm glad that you still enjoyed it overall! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your prettiful thoughts - I LOVE hearing from you and if I could, I'd give you a cupcake for even wanting to comment in the first place! In return, I will try to check out your blog!

*Please note that this blog is award and tag-free, I appreciate the thought but I just don't have time to fulfil the requirements*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Template by In Between Design Studio