Name: Shade
Author: Jeri Smith Ready
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: May 4, 2010 (US)
Pages: 320, Hardcover
Source: Online Audiobook Library
Rating: 3.5 Teacups
Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart. Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.
Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.
Well, sort of.
Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan’s violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.
It doesn't help that Aura’s new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.
As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart…and clues to the secret of the Shift.
[summary taken from Goodreads]
Jen's Review
Prior to starting
Shade, the only thing that I had heard about it was "Amazing", or
"one of a kind"--things along that line. What could I do? Of course I
had to pick it up! I'm always up for a good ghost story, especially with
romance involved. I am pleased to say that I enjoyed it, but there was
definitely a lot of things I could complain about, such as the love triangle
and the characters themselves. However, I loved the plot and creativity of
Shade. My conflicting thoughts for Shade equal out for it to be an overall good
read.
As I mentioned
before, there were definitely things I thoroughly liked in Shade; that is, the
creative paranormal aspect, and the plot. Jeri Smith Ready takes the ghost
creatures onto a whole new level. In Shade, only people born after the Shift
can see the ghosts, and they can turn into Shades: bad ghosts. I thought that
was totally original of Jeri and I really appreciated her for trying something
new. Likewise, the plot was really fun to read about. I constantly wanted to
know more and it keeps the reader entertained and captivated.
On the other hand,
there were things that I think could have been better, like the romantic
relationships and the characters. Throughout the entire novel, I never
understood for a second WHY Aura was so
in love with Logan, and vice-versa. There relationship together didn't work
very well. It was very quarrelsome and I just did not like it. Moreover, the
characters in general didn't stand out. They definitely weren't terrible, but
they were just very mediocre. The only exception to that was Zachary, the third
person in the love triangle; he was so patient and a gentleman, and he was very
lovely.
As a result, Shade
was an okay book: very entertaining, but had it's character flaws that derailed
it's potential for an awesome ghost story. Still, if you're looking for an
exciting, fresh ghost story, Shade would be a great pick!
3.5 Teacups for Shade!








Love Triangle? *sigh* But everyone seems to LOVE Zach...so I might try this series just to see what all the fuss is about :) Great review Jen!<3
ReplyDeleteI have this book to read, Jen, I just need to find the time to read it! I'm currently listening to an audio book of Magic Burns and I find I've had the same issue with the narration. I like the female voice but when she does the male voices, it loses appeal. I'm still enjoying it even so. Great review. :)
ReplyDeleteI've heard only amazing things about this as well; I'm sorry you found this disappointing to an extent, but I'm glad you found some redeeming qualities. Beautiful review, Jen! :)
ReplyDeleteI've heard so many great things about this book, just like you, but to be quite honest, I don't think it's for me. I'm reluctant to read even the best written love triangles, but I have no patience for empty ones. Since you saw no reason for these two (and then three) to be in love in the first place, I doubt I would too.
ReplyDeleteGreat review!
Great review! :) This sounds like a good book despite its flaws. It is so frustrating when romance doesn't work in a book when it is supposed to - that is such a shame! I haven't tried an audiobook before so I might start with this one... but the fact that Logan is portrayed as a 5 year old sounds annoying, haha! Thanks for posting, Jen <3
ReplyDeleteI wasn't keen on the love triangle at first too... but I was pleased by the end of the series. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed the plot and premise, though! I agree that it was pretty original. Brilliant review as always, Jen! :)
ReplyDeleteI agree I've read tons of endless praising reviews for this book too, I usually find that I always tend to be in the minority of people who don't end up enjoying it as everyone else does. But I can see everyone's obvious love for this book, it does seem to have a lot going on for it. But sorry it didn't work out as much as you'd hoped Jen! Thanks for the heads up and another lovely review! :)
ReplyDeleteI have read novels that have quarrelsome romances and it can go either way. The friendly banter with significant signs of fondness usually works for me, but if they just plainly don't get along... not so much. Thanks for your informative review.
ReplyDeleteGreat review, Jen! I laughed at your description of Logan's voice, it's funny when narrators just get it wrong.
ReplyDeleteI've put off reading this because I was worried I'd be one of the only ones who didn't like it! It's a shame it was a bit of a let down for you, hun, but not understand characters always ruins books for me, too.
Also, yay for being a nail polish fan!! I hope you get to try some, I put on the pink one today, so pretty (I tweeted a pic earlier)
Mands xox
This book was actually my favourite of the series. It wasn't the best series ever - I will admit - but I enjoyed this one. Nice review!
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm glad you still enjoyed the overall even with some of the flaws you said. This series is one of my all time favorites. I hope you enjoy the succeeding books even more. Zachary is just awesome! Lol! Lovely review, Jen. :)
ReplyDeleteHmm, it definitely detracts from my enjoyment of a book when two characters who aren't suited for one another insist on being together. That said, I'm given to understand there is a swoon-worthy Scottish boy in this series? EVERYONE raves about it, so I also have this book, and am looking forward to reading it this year. Great review!
ReplyDeleteI haven't read this one yet but I've obviously heard the insane praise it gets from so many people! I'm so glad you loved it! :) I'll definitely check it out one day, even if just to see how it matches up to my expectations. And about Logan... I've heard he grows on you? Not sure if that's necessarily true but I'm curious as to how you'll find him in the next book. Great review, Jen! <3
ReplyDeleteSo glad you gave this a shot-it was a surprise winner for me and I actually thought the sequel was better (with the love triangle pretty well resolved in the beginning of the third).
ReplyDelete