Sticky Note

Hello! I'm afraid I have to take another hiatus until mid-February. My exams are coming up and I just haven't had the time to write reviews or posts. I apologise for my absence again and hope to see you all next month.

23 October 2013

MINI-REVIEW: Speechless by Hannah Harrington

SpeechlessName: Speechless
Author: Hannah Harrington
Publisher: Mira Ink
Date published: February 2013
Pages: 263, Paperback ARC
Source: For review (from publisher)
Rating: 4.5 teacups
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can’t keep a secret
Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.
Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she’s ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.
But there’s strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she’s done. If only she can forgive herself.
[summary taken from Goodreads]

My Thoughts

It didn't take me long to request a copy of Speechless.  The fact that it was authored by Hannah Harrington, the oh-so-amazing-creator of Saving June, was enough to make me want to read it straight away.

When I first met Chelsea Knot, I knew she wasn't someone I'd want to be friends with in real life. She was gossipy and shallow and I wondered how I would ever come to warm to her.  However, by the end of the book, I really empathised her and felt truly protective of her.  Character development is such a key element in Speechless and is what made the book such a touching read for me.

The secondary characters also deserve a mention for adding their own quirkiness and warmth.  Asha was such a wonderful friend, soft-spoken and kind-hearted, and Sam was definitely a swoon-worthy love interest.  All of them were such unique figures with huge individuality.

Hannah Harrington has definitely not lost her touch for addressing deeper issues with such sensitivity and Speechless proved to be another heartbreaking, thought-provoking read with an important message which rings true for all its readers.  My words cannot do this book justice, so I'd like to finish with a quote from one of the characters that nicely sums everything up:
“Hate is... It's too easy. Love. Love takes courage.”

 4.5 Teacups for Speechless!

*Many thanks to Mira Ink for the review copy and apologies for the late review*

Happy reading,
Beverley

13 comments:

  1. I've seen so many good reviews for Speechless, I really want to read it but annoyingly haven't been able to find it anywhere :( Ah well, I will continue searching! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one and am so glad you did too! I haven't heard anything about an upcoming novel from Hannah, but I hope there's one out - and soon! Great review!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book soooo much! I was struck by how much my opinion of the MC changed from the beginning to the end.

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. This book has me curious. Think I'll give it a read soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like so long ago that I read this beautiful book, but you have nailed it perfectly just how great this book was. I didn't like Chelsea's character at the beginning much either, but over the course of this book she grew on me loads! I honestly can't wait to see what Harrington has in store for us next! Lovely review! And Beverley I'm so happy to see you back to blogging! I look forward to reading more of your posts soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I simply adore this review, Speechless and that quote! I love the characters too! Chelsea is such a surprising splendid main character that I also enjoyed reading her changing view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard so many great things about this one, and it's fantastic to see that you loved it too!!
    I think this book seems especially meaningful, and it seems to have a lot of underlying social messages... my best friend, Cat, has read this one, and I'll be wanting to pick it up soon too! :D
    Fantastic review, Beverley!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great read. I really love the quote that you have included which does ring true. I have been looking for deeper issue contemporary reads lately so I will have to add this to my list.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES, I love this review to the moon and back, Bev! <3 This book was SO important to me, it really resonated with me. I actually enjoyed it more than Saving June, which seems to be a bit of an unpopular opinion. So glad you liked the development of the MC and the secondary characters as those were my favourite aspects as well. Thanks for the great review, lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds good. I love character development :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic review, Bev! I loved this book too and I loved how Hannah work through the situation and with each characters. It was indeed a very heartwarming story. Glad you enjoyed it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book sounds so good! I've never read anything by this author before but she's got a great name in the book world! I LOVE character development so I'd adore that aspect of this book for sure! Plus a swoon-worthy love interest? YAY! xD

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your prettiful thoughts - I LOVE hearing from you and if I could, I'd give you a cupcake for even wanting to comment in the first place! In return, I will try to check out your blog!

*Please note that this blog is award and tag-free, I appreciate the thought but I just don't have time to fulfil the requirements*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Template by In Between Design Studio