Name: Speechless
Author: Hannah Harrington
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Release Date: August 28th, 2012 (US)
Pages: 288, Paperback
Source: For review via Netgalley
Rating: 4.5 Teacups
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret
Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.
Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.
But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.
[summary taken from Goodreads]
Jen's Review
You know a book is
good when there are Reader's Guide Questions for Discussion in the back of the
book.
Just kidding. But
seriously, Speechless was breathtakingly beautiful and definitely a special
contemporary that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. If you enjoyed Hannah's
debut novel, Saving June, you will for
sure like Speechless as much or even more. For me, Hannah's sophomore novel
rendered ME speechless and craving for more. Much more.
From the beginning,
Speechless captured me from the start. Although Chelsea's character was
extremely shallow at first, I could tell right away that the vow of silence was
going to change her. So, I went along with it, and before I knew it, her
character and inner personality was changing. I couldn't help but admire her
progress after awhile and after that, I thoroughly loved Chelsea. But Chelsea
isn't the only character I enjoyed. I loved Sam, Asha, and the whole crew at
Rosie's just as if they were MY family. Asha is so quirky and NICE, I wish
there was an Asha in my life. And Sam, oh Sam. He is not necessarily
swoon-worthy, but so dorky and adorable it hurts.
Along with the
totally endearing characters, there is the imperative lessons that every reader
can learn from Speechless. I always love a good contemporary where they deal
with issues that teenagers (or, people in general) need to be more aware of. In
Speechless, there is mental and physical harassment, sexual orientation
harassment, and more. I really appreciated the way Hannah created the
characters who had to deal with the situation. And most importantly, for
Chelsea, for constructing a character who can stand and speak up for others,
and herself.
And of course, I
HAVE to talk about Hannah Harrington's writing. It is so unique and raw. It was
stunning in Saving June, but Hannah
KILLS it with Speechless. Seriously y'all. It's amazing. Not only was it
awe-inspiring, it's also more sarcastic and funny. I have more than 15 parts
highlighted in my Kindle. No joke. SO MANY AWESOME QUOTES.
4.5 stars for Speechless!
*Thanks to Harlequin TEEN for providing me an eARC to
review*








OH, THANK YOU sooo much for the review, Jen! x) Speechless is high on my to-read list, and your review just pumps me up to read this book NOW! <3 Like you, what I adore from contemporary is the problem! Although I have to say that dystopian books have such a very cool problem, contemporary with the ordinary, very real, and captivating problem is nothing to be taken lightly too! <3
ReplyDeleteFantastic review, Jen! Can't wait to read more of your reviews in the future! <3 :)
This is the second amazingly positive review of this book I've read today. It's definitely a sign that I need to read this book immediately :)
ReplyDeleteAmazing review Jen. I haven't read any of Hannah Harrington's books before but you just made me want to! Speechless has been on my wishlist ever since I heard about it! :D x
ReplyDeleteI love it when a book has many amazing quotes :D I like to write them down. I've already seen some positive reviews about this book and I'm starting to like it more. It will be my first book from this author, but I think it's worth a shot. Great review.
ReplyDeleteFantastic review, Jen! I need to read this! I have requested this from NetGalley.. but since it is so near the publication date I don't think I'll have time to read it, so I'll have to delete it :( But I am DEFINITELY going to buy it!! And I love books with amazing quotes too, this sounds amazing <3
ReplyDeleteI was a fan of the author's first book, though I don't think I'll read this one . . . doesn't sound like my kind of read. But great review! Glad you enjoyed this one so much!
ReplyDeleteWonderful review, Jen! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one as I loved it! While Saving June is still my favorite, Speechless holds a special place in my heart. Plus...SAM!<3 I looved all the characters in this and I felt as if the messages that came out from this story were some the best! You've made me want to re-read it now - it was just that good! :D
ReplyDelete~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings
I haven't read any of this author's work yet, but it seems she's really good! I love that Chelsea is a character that grows and that all the characters are ones you can grow easily attached to. This definitely looks like something I need to read, and read quickly. Beautiful review, Jen! :)
ReplyDeleteBrilliant review! I just finished this last night and really enjoyed it. I agree about Hannah Harrington's writing style! It's so raw and honest, which is why this book worked for me when this sort of story isn't usually my thing. I'm glad you liked it, Jen! :)
ReplyDeletelovely review Jen, I absolutely loved this too, Harrington is seriously one heck of a talented author, her writing just leaves you raw and achy all ahcy all over. The secondary characters totally made this book for me too! :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic review! I read Saving June and enjoyed it, so when I heard about this one I got so excited! I am glad it didn't disappoint you - I'll have to pick it up soon!
ReplyDeleteSteph @ Stepping Out Of The Page
I LOVE HANNAH HARRINGTON. She completeley won me over in Saving June and did it again with ridiculous ease in Speechless. She is already one of my favourite contemp authors <3 I love the growth of her heroines - both Harper and Chelsea may not always start out so easily likeable, but the journey they take you on is incredible and you find yourself in love with them by the end. And Asha! Sam! I adore!
ReplyDeleteMore more more Harringtoon books, please! Brilliant review!
Interesting! I was wondering if this was another one of those fluffly YA books. I might take a look at it then!! ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's too bad I never seem to find time to read everything I want, though!! :)
p.s. great post per usual!
Jen, I just finished this yesterday and I'm about to write my review, so I'll come back and read this later. But yay! We both enjoyed it. :)
ReplyDeleteYes!! I loved the dorky and adorable Sam too. The romance was very sweet in this one. This was a powerful read, Jen and I too had a lot highlighted in my e-reader. Harrington has a talent of writing such real and flawed characters that you end up falling in love with. Wonderful review. :)
ReplyDeletebrilliant review! I am very much looking forward to this one!!
ReplyDelete